#MI227 Coursework #5: Health Information Security
This week we were asked to “be part of a group practice that has decided to implement an electronic solution for clinical documentation. However, you have come across many horror stories regarding health information security that have led to failed clinical information system implementations. How would you prevent this from happening to your group practice? Create an article listing down questions that your group practice should be able to answer to identify risks to securing electronic health information.”
- Is it HIPAA compliant?
- Is it compliant with the Philippines Data Privacy Act of 2012?
- How do we deal with security breaches?
- How can we ensure confidentiality of entries?
- Where is storage?
- How is the system backed-up?
- How will data to be retrieved from storage?
- How fast can data be retrieved?
- How do we ensure that data is not manipulated, corrupted or lost?
- How do we maintain data integrity?
- Who has access to data?
- Who can modify data entries?
- Is there a code of ethics for data handlers?
These are some of the questions that needs answers before one could feel secure about considering an electronic solution for clinical documentation.